Top 10 Toxins for Dogs


1. Chocolate

The darker the chocolate the more dangerous. Milk chocolate can be dangerous if ingested in large amounts. The smaller the dog the more dangerous.

2. Xylitol

This sweetener found in sugarless chewing gum, candy, medications, and nasal sprays, causes a rapid drop in blood sugar and liver failure only in dogs (not cats).

3. NSAID's

Ibuprofen, naproxen, and so on found in products such as Advil, Motrin, and Aleve are not easily metabolized by dogs. Ingestions can result in stomach ulcers and kidney failure.

Best Vet

4. Over the counter cough, cold, and allergy medications.

Those that contain acetaminophen or decongestants, such as pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine, are particularly toxic.


5. Mouse/Rat Poison

May cause internal bleeding or brain swelling, even in small amounts.

6. Grapes and raisins

Causes kidney damage in dogs.

7. Insect bait stations

Can cause bowel obstruction when dogs swallow the plastic casing.

8. Prescription ADD/ADHD medications

Can cause tremors, seizures, cardiac problems, and death in pets.

9. Glucosamine joint supplements

Overdoses of these tasty products typically only cause diarrhea; however, in rare cases, liver failure can develop.

10. Oxygen absorbers and silica gel packets

Can cause iron poisoning.

If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, contact us immediately. If it is after hours, contact the Pet Emergency Clinic at 509-326-6670.

Lobby Hours



AAHA Member
AVMA Member
WSVMA Member

























^Top of Page    © Medical Lake Veterinary Clinic. All Rights Reserved.